If you're considering bringing a new fur baby into your family, you may be wondering which breed will fit in best with your family's lifestyle. In this article, our Elk Grove vets share some small dog breeds that make a great addition to the family.
Small Breeds Suitable for Families
Doing a little research ahead of time is key to choosing the right dog for your family. The breed best suited to your family's lifestyle may not be the same as another family's ideal dog breed.
That said, there are many breeds of small dogs that can make excellent playmates for energetic older kids, as well as breeds with more gentle, patient personalities suited to younger or less active children.
An older adopted dog with a gentle temperament can be the ideal fit for families with very young children since these dogs typically require less training and may be more tolerant of children.
Small Dogs That Love Family Life
Whenever you are shopping for a new pet do your research. Avoid disreputable breeders and pet shops which may bring in pups from puppy mills. Finding a responsible loving breeder can help to ensure that your new puppy is happy, healthy, and well-adjusted.
If you're unsure about where you should look for your small dog, speak to your vet. Vets are often able to recommend local breeders that they know well.
- Perfect for apartment living, Pugs make peaceful family pets. Like humans, this sturdy breed loves to eat and sleep and may need a little encouragement to get out and get some exercise. If your family loves curling up on the couch together to watch movies or read, a pug should fit right in!
- Yorkipoos are an intelligent and playful mix of Yorkshire Terrier and toy or miniature Poodle. This breed is both hypoallergenic and energetic. These dogs make the perfect pets for active families who don't mind a bit of barking.
- Cocker Spaniel is the smallest member of the sporting group and loves being around older children. These dogs adore romping around in the garden with the kids or playing with other dogs. They adapt well to apartment life but crave companionship and don't do well if left alone for long periods.
- Bichon Frise is a playful, loving, breed that just wants to have fun! Low-shedding and long-lived, kids adore these little characters. This breed forms strong ties with their people and doesn't like to spend long periods of time alone. The Bichon Frise is an ideal small dog breed for fun-loving families.
- Boston Terriers typically weigh in just under 25 pounds, and come brimming with personality! This delightful breed craves companionship and loves to be with the family. Some Boston Terriers are high-spirited while others can be very gentle and sweet. Be sure to visit the breeder and carefully observe the puppies at play, before adopting. That way you can choose the pup best suited for your family lifestyle.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- The cuddly snugly Cavalier King Charles Spaniel loves to spend quiet time with their family, but also requires a fair amount of exercise to remain contented. A home with a fenced yard is ideal for this little sporting breed since chasing squirrels, chipmunks, and butterflies is a favorite pastime of these small dogs. Cavaliers need plenty of companionship and thoroughly enjoy spending time with kids as well as other dogs.
- Yes we know that mutts aren't an official breed but they can, and do, make excellent family pets. Visit your local animal shelter or puppy rescue agency to check out the vast array of characters just waiting for a forever home. Mutts come in all shapes, sizes, personalities, and temperaments. With a little patience and determination, you could rescue a puppy and find the ideal small dog for your family.
Routine Dog Exams
If you have added a new dog to your family, be sure to arrange a physical examination with a veterinarian to ensure they are happy and healthy.